A couple of weeks ago I was watching Come Dine with me with my son and he saw someone making banoffee pie. He asked what it was and then requested that I make it for him soon! As we were below budget with the shopping this week I decided to buy the ingredients and give it a go. It was the first time I have made it myself and I was very impressed, as were my husband and son so I think I will be making it again!
I have calculated the cost of the dessert (6-8 portions) would be around £3.00 depending on where you bought your ingredients and the quality of the same.
Around 250g Digestive biscuits
200g butter (although I am testing out Flora Cuisine at the moment so used that)
1 x Can Condensed Milk
100g Brown Sugar
2 x Bananas
1. Place the biscuits into a food bag and bash them until they are crumbs.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave for 30 seconds – 1 minute then mix in the biscuit crumbs.
3. Press the biscuit mix into a tin (a loose bottomed one always works well I find). Then put into the fridge whilst you make the caramel topping.
4. I always thought to make caramel from condensed milk you had to boil it for hours, however, it turns out you can make it very quickly on the hob. Simply melt around 100g brown sugar and 100g butter together in a pan.
5. Add the condensed milk and let it boil for around 1 minute, whilst stirring, until it forms a nice caramel like mixture (don’t lick the spoon once you’ve done this, not only is it addictive, it’s damn hot!).
6. Spread the caramel mix over your biscuit base then leave in the fridge to set.
7. Once it is set put a layer of sliced banana on top.
8. Next whip up your double cream until it is soft peaks.
9. Spread the cream mixture on top of the bananas then place in the fridge to cool.
10. When ready to serve a broke a little chocolate over the top and some more banana slices for decoration.