This is a recipe that I have very slightly adapted from the Hairy Dieter’s recipe to suit. It is one that is requested by my husband quite a lot. If you are not keen on chicken thighs it works well with breast too.
I have calculated the cost of this dish for 4 people is around £5.00 depending on where you buy your ingredients and the quality of the same. Chorizo is an expensive ingredient and the dish can be made without if you are looking for a bit of a cheaper meal.
1 onion cut into 8 wedges
1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
500g new potatoes cut in half or quarters depending on size
8 whole garlic cloves
Tomatoes (as many as your family likes) quartered
Around 75g chorizo (optional)
Chicken – Around 2 thighs per person or 1 breast depending on personal taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 pepper (whichever colour you prefer!) cut into strips
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C.
2. Place the onion wedges, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in a roasting dish, season then cook for 20 minutes.
3. Whilst cooking, season the chicken and cut the chorizo into 1/2 cm slices.
4. Scatter the chorizo over the vegetables and stir a couple of times.
5. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
6. When you take the dish out of the oven tilt to one side and spoon some of the juices over the top of the chicken. Place the peppers on top and cook for another 20 minutes until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.